2.12.2011

Back Together Again.....


Alright, where were we? February 2004. My brother Beau came home from his mission to Texas in February. My parents flew me home so I could see Beau. It was sooo good to have Beau home. We were inseparable before he left (besides when he was at college). While I was home visiting I stopped in at the Grocery Outlet to say hi. Drew was there, of course, and ended up walking me out to my car. As I was getting in my car he said, "Hey make sure you save an hour or two for me tonight. I want to catch up with you." I said, "Uh yeah, sure! Sure, sounds good." I thought to myself, "WHAT? He wants to catch up with me? Since when?"

He came over after closing up the G.O. So it was around 9pm or so. He ended up staying until 4am. We just talked and talked; catching up we did (no, not like that...really, we just talked.) We hadn't talked like that since we dated back when we were 15. For the record we were 18 now. The details get hazy about what we actually talked about. We can't remember if Drew was already broken up with Emily, or if the relationship was simmering out and he was about done. Whatever was going on with that, we talked about it. We have tried really hard to remember but all that we can recall is loving catching up with each other and it feeling so natural and comfortable. Sometime during our chat we made a run to Taco Bell (for Drew, I have never been a fan of that place). I am only mentioning this minor detail because I remember while we were driving to Taco Bell Drew randomly showed me this song that he liked and turns out it was an EFY song called Distracted. It solidified to me that he was on the path I was hoping he was on. I know that seems simple, but it was enough for me to know where he was at with the church. Honestly, none of us knew. When he was dating Emily it seemed serious enough that we weren't sure if a mission was in his plans or if he cared about church at all. He was of course still going. He was just a mystery when he was with Emily.

I flew back to Rexburg the next morning. I think we were both wondering what would happen from there. Well, here is what happened. haha He called me about once a week and we would talk for a couple of hours. Then our birthdays rolled around and I found a package from him waiting for me after getting back from class. That is when I knew that more than just being friends was happening here. You would think that would be obvious, but when you're the one in the middle of it all, you don't want to jump to any conclusions.

Side note: During my first semester at BYU-Idaho I had my track changed from winter/summer which I was on, to the "normal" fall/winter track all college students are usually on unless you go to BYU-Idaho. I needed to do that in order to be in the Culinary Arts program, which I got accepted into that semester as well.

So until the semester ended, Drew and I were talking on the phone a lot, texting while I was in class, and e-mailing. Because I changed my tracks, I had a small debate whether I should go home for the summer or just stay in Rexburg until the fall term since my original plan was that I would be there in the summer going to school. I didn't want to go home just because Drew was there. I wanted to make sure I was making the decision separate from my feelings for Drew. So I did. (Although it wasn't easy because Drew was begging me to come home al the time.) Home still felt right when I prayed about it and seemed like the best option for earning more money to pay for more school. So home I went.

My brother Zach picked me up April 26th. We rolled into Portland around 5:30 or so. We made really good time. Always did when Zachy J was driving. As soon as I got home, I text Drew and told him I was home. He asked if I wanted to go see a movie that night. Again I was surprised. I literally had just walked in the door and he was already wanting to hang out. Honestly, I was in heaven. It was what I wanted for so long but kept pushing away all my feelings. We went and saw 13 going on 30 that night. It was so fun. That was basically our first date ever. He walked me to my door that night, gave me a hug and told me it was so good to have me home. From that night on, we were inseparable. We went to concerts, we had picnics, we watched seasons of 24 and Alias, we consumed a lot of Oreo's (Drew has an obsession), we hung out with both our families a lot. When he wasn't at work he was with me. He helped me look for a job (which was awful by the way. It was hard to find a job for 4 months. There was not a lot of options and I a horrible attitude about the hunt. Drew was a saint for doing that with me.) We really spent every free minute we had with each other.

(I have always loved the way he is looking at me in this picture.)
We both said then (and now) that it felt like we were picking up where we left off. It again, just felt so natural and comfortable. With feeling so natural and comfortable comes all those firsts. (For us, second firsts.) The first time we held hands again is one of those controversial subjects between Drew and I. He remembers us holding hands while we were watching Alias at my house. I remember it the same way but at his house. The natural and comfortable feeling went out the window when it comes to the kiss. LOL Drew had a fun idea, so we thought we would do a little "vlog" of us explaining the details of that horrid event. It saves me some typing and provides you with some entertainment besides reading. For your viewing pleasure, here it is.



(drew apologizes for bad video quality. had to use front facing camera on iphone, not nearly as good as back camera)

So, after that kiss, I really didn't want to kiss at all....ever again. But we talked about it, we figured it out and thats all that we need to expound on that. I was once again, impressed with Drew and how he handled that whole situation with me. I made a fool of myself but he made me feel completely comfortable. Even after that he still wanted to date me! haha

(A "safe" kiss. haha We were shmoopy.)

Tomorrow: The DTR, the BIG date, and one moment he's here....the next moment he's gone.

8 Pieces of Awesomeness:

Courtney B said...

i love your vlog. very fun idea. this will be great to have when you guys are old and gray, for your kids to read/see, or even your grandkids. these have been very, very fun to read. it's like a mini teen drama show (like dawson's creek), i could just see it now... haha, but really, thanks for sharing your story! great idea! maybe i will do it one of these days.

Etts a Beautiful Life said...

Oh, sad! You are brave for sharing and I'm glad you did. P.S. Can you be any more gorgeous? I love your hair in that video.

blaine and michelle said...

That is so adorable. I was laughing out loud because I can just imagine the awkwardness. Our first kiss was slightly awkward as well. You guys are the cutest. And it wasn't TMI at all, it was just what we all went through back then. Love it. Can't wait until tomorrow!

DanielandTawny said...

I have to say that in 20 years you will look back and be glad you wrote all this down. Even the awkward kiss part. That segment was funny. I told Tawny that I would've dumped her had our first kiss not been AMAZING. jk lol it wasn't amazing by any means. We laughed about it today reading and watching your blog. It wasn't til after that dreadful first kiss that we had the real "first kiss". You both are awesome.
Daniel and Tawny

Dana Scarbrough said...

Soooo, I'm glad Phillip and I didn't just pee our pants from laughing so hard- cause then we'd have an embarrassing story!!! This was seriously so cute, and not tmi, and a great opportunity to "see" ya'll not just read about you! :)

jamieleighcall said...

Oh my, you guys are adorable! I think we all have embarrassing kissing stories, Hai. It sounds like that kiss made you more endearing to Drew, though, so maybe that was your plan all along. :) At least you eventually figured it out. Love your story. Can't wait to read tomorrow!

Stephanie Córdova said...

Hey Hailey, I just have to say I have absolutely been loving reading about you and Drew in this countdown to Valentine's Day! You guys are adorable and I love the funny parts, the sweet parts, the awkward parts, etc. It totally takes me back to those years and I'm kind of inspired now to write me and Manuel's story. This has been so much fun to read and I've been reading it with my husband too, I hope that's not creepy LOL Can't wait to read tomorrow!

alyssa said...

I just watched the video and I was just laughing because you guys are so funny and cute. And Jordan and I may or may not have had a similar experience haha. We should have talked about this before I moved... Someday :)