7.27.2010

Mopits! Mopits! Somtimes Moffits!

(Michelle, this is your plate in the picture from way back when you saved that piece of cake for me. :) I keep forgetting it when I see you guys. I will get it to you soon I promise!)

Alright, I know I just blogged yesterday but I'm in the blogging mood so I'm going with it. I keep meaning to post more recipes but the lack of pictures or a good camera to take a decent picture stops me. I just had an itch to post another recipe so I bagged carrying about the quality of my picture. The quality of the recipe is MOST important.

Mae has been BEGGING for "mopits" (aka:muffins) since I made them last week. She asks for them every day. So we made some more this morning. I love this recipe because it makes quite a bit. And they are much healthier than the average muffin recipe. (Sometimes muffin recipes seem more like cupcake recipes to me.) There are a lot of variations you can do with this recipe and so far our favorite happens to be the chocolate chip variation. Surprise surprise!

I made some with wild blue berries last week. They were pretty good but lacked in flavor a bit. A typical thing to have to work on with "healthy" recipes. I'm still fiddling around to make the muffins the way I like them but the texture is just right. I love how perfectly moist they are and a great consistancy. I think some lemon zest and a touch more salt would help my blueberry muffins. You really can't go wrong with chocolate chips. I also think orange cranberry would be so yummy. Or a spice blend. Raspberries might give them more of the zing I was hoping for with the blueberries. But for now as I continue to experiment, the chocolate chip muffins are the winners. So finally, here is the recipe. Funny, the two recipes I have posted so far just happen to be from the same website. These are the "Healthy Blueberry Muffins" from the blog Savory Seasonings.


Healthy Muffins

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup oats, blended until fine in a blender or food processor
1 cup sugar
1 TBSP plus 1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 cup milk
4 TBSP oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 TBSP water

1 1/2 cups blueberries, raspberries or blackberries (or chocolate chips), etc.

Preheat oven to 400 F. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl combine wet ingredients, then lightly fold into the dry ingredients. Batter will be thicker than traditional muffin recipes. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake 14-15 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes on a wire rack.

*Note: These freeze really well which is awesome since they yield around 24 muffins.

8 Pieces of Awesomeness:

Lynda said...

This sounds so yummy. Thanks. You didn't put the oven temp. Is it 350 or 375?

Etts a Beautiful Life said...

Do you grind your own wheat flour?

blaine and michelle said...

Mmmm. that sounds good! And feel free to keep the plate as long as you want. We have plenty and I know you guys brought minimal stuff. Did you want to come over this week?

Tecia said...

Hailey...those look so yummy! I love when you post recipes....Ty still talks about what a good cook you are. You guys have good taste. I love seeing pics of your kiddos btw. When did Mae grow up?? SHe was so little last time we saw her. Are you guys coming back soon?

Andrew and Lyndsey Richardson said...

Yay! My kids LOVE muffins and anything with chocolate chips is a sold in their books. I am going to have to try these asap (and I am with you- cranberry orange sounds divine!)

Lynda said...

Duh. I see that you did in fact put the temperature. That was a bad day the day I wrote that comment.

Ksenia said...

Yum yum! 24 would not last in our house longer than 24 hours. I have to like like... 40 in order to have some to freeze. Your brother is as serious sweet tooth!

Emily said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm glad to hear you like the muffin recipe!