11.08.2009

there was a story


mins after Jonah was born
secs after Jonah was born

Warning: This is written with post-pregnancy hormones. Will it seem lovey-dovey and full of emotions? You betcha. Will I cry a few times while writing this? Without a doubt. So here it goes.

For our own history and for any who are curious about the whole labor and delivery story.

Halloween morning I woke up like all other mornings, pretty disappointed that I hadn't gone into labor yet. Wondering, if the doctor keeps telling me I should go any minute and he doesn't know why I haven't, then WHY am I still pregnant? For two weeks he had been telling me that. I was dialated to a 4 and paper thin, he was extremely surprised when he would see me in his office again for another check. Before this point, Drew and I were doing great with our mindset of planning on him being late just so we wouldn't have our hopes up too soon. But once the doctor started telling us things like, "you shouldn't make it to your next appointment" its hard not to believe him! Dang the doctors for getting very pregnant women's hopes up. I know I'm not the only one this has happened too.

I kept telling myself I couldn't complain because I still wasn't even to the November 6th due date. I was trying to be patient but felt like I was getting more uncomfortable by the minute. So back to Halloween morning. Drew was in the shower around 7:30am, gearing up for his long day of midterm studying at the library. I was laying in bed thinking about when it could possibly be that I might actually go into labor and hoping it was just sometime when Drew was home with me. (My doctor had warned me that as soon as I felt anything I needed to get to the hospital. With the history of Mae and with my current progression, he was pretty sure it would happen fast.) While laying there, I suddenly felt like I was peeing my pants a bit. Thats when I knew my water had broken. OH HAPPY DAY! I was excited. This was at about 7:50am. I called my mom right away to tell her to book a flight out here, letting her know it was finally time. At this point I wasn't feeling much of anything besides my water leaking. So I wasn't moving as fast as I should have, or as fast as Drew would have liked me too.
After calling my mom, we woke Mae up and headed straight for the car. I am proud to say I had already put our hospital bags and a bag for Mae in the car a few days earlier so I was much more prepared this time around then when Mae came. We sped over to Ali (my life-saving cousin) and Marks (her life-saving husband) and dropped Mae off for the day. Once again, such a blessing having them close to watch Mae. It worked out perfectly. On the way to their house I started to feel some dull contractions. By the time we got back in the car after taking Mae to the door and heading down the road again, my contractions were feeling quite intense and about 3 minutes apart. Drew was driving like a responsible mad man. I say that because I wasn't at all fearing for our lives as he sped past cars and drove through stop signs, but he was driving faster than I had ever experienced. When you are feeling contractions like that, you're only wanting them to keep going faster.
I'm not positive on what time we actually got to the hospital. But we walked up to the front desk and waited for what seemed way too long, for someone to ask how they could help us. I just said, "Um, I'm in labor." I don't think they believed at all how much in labor I was, but I have to give them some credit, I was trying not to sound like a crazy women in labor when I informed them. I ended up sounding exactly like a crazy women in labor later anyway. They directed us to a room and left us there for me to get my gown on. I told Drew, "If I'm going to get an epidural I'm pretty sure I need it right now." Drew went out in the hall and said, "she needs an epidural NOW." They got on the phone and called the anesthesiologist to come in (he was at Utah Valley Hospital) and then came and checked me. "You are 8 centimeters, oh wow. Honey, I don't know if you're going to get the epidural." By then, my contractions were constant, no breaks. They called my doctor who just happened to be in the parking lot on his way in. They checked me again and said I was at a +1. I didn't even know you could go that far. They wheeled me to the delivery room. I was scared. I looked at Drew with a "I don't know if I can do this" kind of look. Feeling like I wanted to cry and feeling even more the pain that hurt so bad I couldn't cry. Drew grabbed my hand and said, "I know it sucks right now. It really hurts. But you can do this and it will be over fast." There is something about someone simply telling you that you can do it that gives you just that little boost of confidence and reassurance that you need to keep going. Once he said that, I just went for it. I had to push, I couldn't help it. Thinking back I am amazed at the natural urge that you have to push. I yelled to them that I was pushing (so they were ready to catch the baby). They were telling me all sorts of things like "Honey, you need to open your legs more. Put your head into your chest." I was doing all the opposite but still managed to push him out after two powerful pushes. They said he was 9 lbs. 1 oz. I couldn't believe it! I was surprised by the instant feeling of relief I had as soon as he was out. The pain was totally gone and he was HERE! He was born at 9:00 AM and I arrived at the hospital 8:48 AM.
His poor face was all bruised and he had a fat lip from coming so fast but he was beautiful. He looks just like Drew to me. That day and since I pretty much cry every time I see Drew with Jonah and Mae, or see Mae being sweet to Jonah. There is something so special about our family. We have known from the day we found out we were pregnant with Jonah that it was really meant to happen at this time. (Although sooner than we were originally planning, we are reminded that our Heavenly Father has a plan for us.)



pics of Jonah today

15 Pieces of Awesomeness:

Tecia said...

Wow! Hailey-that is an amazing story! You are amazing! And he is so adorable! I cannot wait to meet him in person....so cute!

{jane} said...

love your story hailey, so good to hear that all went well! on any other babies from here on out, as soon as you dialate you better check yourself into the hospital, or you may not make it!

Jonah is so handsome! i love that you two have these babies with full heads of hair, it's amazing! you FOUR are a beautiful family!

i hope all is going well, and you are getting LOTS of rest. xoxo

p.s. i had two of my babies almost exactly like this and missed my epidural twice now...but when i hear other womens stories of "36 hours labor," "12 hours of pushing," i think we are the lucky ones!

Ksenia said...

GREAT job! Sounds like you were awesome. Not so bad, right? :)

Jonah already looks so big (probably the hair) and so cute! Can't wait to meet him in person in a month and a half.

Stacy B said...

Congratulations! He is so sweet!

alyssa said...

Oh I just LOVE him! You are incredibly amazing Hailey!

jamieleighcall said...

You got me a little teary-eyed (and I don't have any recent pg hormones to blame it on!) I'm so glad everything went well and you and Jonah are doing great. He's adorable and hopefully I can see him in person soon. If you need anything, you know I'm only an hour away!

Dana Scarbrough said...

Aww, I didn't know if I wanted to read the details- because I'm already insanely jealous of the speed of your deliveries- but this story was wonderful! Yay for Jonah being nice to his mama! We CAN'T WAIT to see him!

bladenfamily said...

That was a funny story. Glad you made it in time! He is a cute little guy!

Crystal Noel Perry said...

Yeah, so that made me cry. I don't even have a husband or children but that was a powerfully beautiful story. He's adorable.

Crystal Noel Perry said...

Yeah, so that made me cry. I don't even have a husband or children but that was a powerfully beautiful story. He's adorable.

Darren and Traci said...

I can't believe you have your babies so fast! I say that I think that would be awesome just because my labors are so sucky but I can't imagine how hectic and scary that would be to have to hurry so fast just to make it to the hospital.

We loved stealing your mom and Mae for a couple hours to go to the museum after you had little Jonah. Once you're up and around you should come up and we could go together with the kiddos.

Jonah is so dang cute and I love the name! I hope you are adjusting to 2 ok. If you ever need someone to come steal Mae for a couple hours to give you a breather, call me. She is so sweet and my girls would love to entertain her. I'll leave you a message on facebook with my cell #

Russ and Brie said...

He looks just like a boy version of Mae! :) So cute! Our little guys will be the best of friends!

ali monson said...

My goodness, he is CUTE! I love these pictures. And even though I already knew the story, I was shocked to read it. Wild stuff, you guys. So glad it all went so well. Funny thing is, you didn't show any signs of being in labor when you dropped Mae off. Crazy.

ANDERSON'S said...

What a neat story! Thanks for sharing. You guys are inspirations to all of us! I'm glad all are doing well.

Marissa and Blaine said...

Love the story! Thanks for posting it so soon! WOW, I can't imagine what it would be like to have babies so fast! Maybe it'll happen a lot faster for me this next time around!
Jonah is very cute! I bet it's wonderful seeing Mae with her new little brother!